Monday, August 30, 2010

Easy Delicious Spinach Peas Carbonara Pasta for Dinner!

I've noticed that I eat out almost everyday for at least one meal, so today was all about eating at home.
I had some leftover pasta salad for lunch and when dinner time came I was lazy and tired already. I didn't want to waste money and buy something but I was definitely hungry. I rummaged through the fridge to find something edible... Well, no more leftovers, so I have to make something... I pulled out a bag of baby spinach, a chunk of butter, an egg, milk, garlic, and frozen sweet peas. I found a bag of opened fusili pasta and hesitated for a bit because to cook pasta would mean an extra pot to clean. I could've just had creamed spinach and peas... or have it with pasta... I ended up making the pasta so that my sister could take the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! (I know, aren't I sweet? Haha)

So I started out by making a simple rue with one tablespoon of butter, garlic, and one tablespoon of flour. Then I added milk and left it to thicken. It was a great idea to cook pasta because it only took about 10 - 12 mins anyways. Into the white sauce I threw in some sweet peas (my favorite), salt, pepper, and some chicken stock powder for extra flavor. Stirred it around and transferred the al dente pasta into the sauce. I added the spinach and lastly I cracked an egg over the top and mixed it into the pasta. Voila! Dinner is served!

I have to say I'm rather proud of myself today, I had both my meals at home and both did not contain meat! Oh, the pasta! Yummy!! I mean it's not fancy carbonara or anything but to make in 15-20 mins by grabbing stuff out of the fridge and throwing them into the pots - a healthy and hearty pasta dish is really enjoyable! Maybe I can turn this into a fancy pasta dish next time and I would definitely add in some cheese to make it even more creamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment