Friday, August 27, 2010

Nyala - Ethiopian Cuisine

I am pretty open to trying new things and different cultural foods, so I was pretty excited when my friend invited me to try Ethiopian cuisine for a friend's birthday lunch. So off we went to to Little Ethiopia in L.A to Nyala! 
Nyala is a medium size restaurant decorated with African colors and drawings. We were the only table there at 12pm but a few other parties came after awhile. I looked up their menu online before lunch and I already made up my mind. I ordered the fish Asa Tibs - white fish with sauteed onions, tomato, garlic, and red pepper. I also got a glass of Ethiopian Honey wine. Our entrees come with flat pieces of pancake like bread... At first sight they actually look very yummy, kind of like  the chinese scallion pancakes that my mom makes. So, I took a piece and with my hands (Ethiopian tradition) I picked up some of my fish and tasted it. Wow, that bread was really sour! It's very hard to explain that tase because it's not like sourdough bread or yogurt... Well, after taking some time to get use to, it wasn't so bad. My fish? I like the taste of it. Very flavorful and kind of like Chinese sauteed dishes. It woud've went well with a bowl of rice too! My honey wine was far too sweet for my taste and pretty strong too. I have to admit their service was rather slow... for we were waiting and waiting for them to take our orders, bring our orders, clean up, and bring our cake. 

Overall, it was an interesting experience. Some of my friends could not get over the idea of eating with our hands only but, some were really open in trying and having fun. So maybe we'll be back one day~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment