Monday, January 11, 2010

Banana Cake

I've never been good at baking cakes. Usually they turn out flat, dry, or hard. I think it's because of my impatience with ingredient measurements; the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour. I'm more clumsy and spontaneous in the kitchen. I remember baking an orange cake that turned out like hard bread and a Boston cream pie that turned out a little dry and airy... See, cakes are not really my thing.






You are probably wondering why I am posting about a banana cake then right? Ha, well recently things have changed and I am now Goddess of cakes! Fine, only banana cakes so far... What I mean is, my mom recently bought from Japan a Tiger brand Rice Cooker. It's one of those new fancy rice cooker and the inside of the cooking bowl has 5 layers of ... iron? aluminum? some kind of metal (I can't be bothered getting up to go check). So what does that have to do with cakes, you ask? The rice cooker and BAKE !


OMG right? According to the instruction booklet, it bakes bread (Yes! we've tried) and it bakes cakes (Yes!)!


*Squeal* I know!!! Now I can bake cakes and put on more pounds...  also, for those who don't know why I am so excited; our oven doesn't work = no baking at home.


No, really, it bakes. I'm sure it bakes all kinds of cakes. I've only been making banana cake because we have ripe bananas at home. Obviously I found the recipe online, but I made some significant changes to it. So, I think this recipe only works for the rice cooker.


Recipe:
3 Bananas (ripe and mashed)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 eggs
1 stick of unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
(mix the above and fold in the following)
2 cups of flour (sifted)
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt


*optional fresh blueberries (about 1/2 cup to 1 cup fold last)


Now cook inside rice cooker at the setting for "BAKE" which should be 40 mins but I really have no clue about the temperature... so I was really surprised that the cake came out moist and fluffy!






Are you waiting for photos?
Sorry, I do not have any yet.
So remember to check back
because I am not making this up =)

No comments:

Post a Comment