Sunday, December 20, 2009

Afghan Cookies

One of my favorite snacks from New Zealand is the Afghan cookie. It's a chewy chocolate cookie made with cornflakes and chocolate icing on top. I remember buying a giant afghan cookie during recess at school. My favorite part is actually the icing because it makes the whole cookie sweeter. It's been about 6 years since my last afghan cookie (in the U.S now). Recently, I've been craving for something chocolaty and chewy. So, I decided to research a little for the recipe. I googled "Afghan cookie" and found that it is an Aust/NZ cookie. Also, the origin of the name is unknown. There is also two Youtube videos on making afghan cookies. So I picked one and decided to try it out. (Recipe adapted from Tanuvai)




Afghan cookie recipe:
14 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1+1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
2 cups of cornflakes (plain)


Preheat oven at 350F / 180C
Cream the butter and sugar, add in flour and cocoa and mix well. Crush cornflakes and combine into cookie dough. Roll mixture into balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten each ball with a spoon. Make sure there's about an inch space between each cookie. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
I  made a simple icing with 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips, icing sugar, and a couple of tablespoons of water (just make sure the mixture is of drizzly condition). Let cookies cool down or else might break apart. Spread a generous amount of icing on top and let the icing dry.


Viola! Afghan cookies!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment